Your Ad Here Your Ad Here

Sunday, June 8, 2008

MY MEDIA AUTOBIOGRAPHY



The following article was written years ago when I attended my History of Broadcasting class for my Master of Arts in Media Studies major in Journalism at the University of the Philippines-College of Mass Communication in Diliman, Quezon City, under Prof Jonathan L Rondina. It was one of my numerous academic papers that were saved and stored in my hard disk for years before Triond,
an online publishing service that helps writers to publish their quality content in any media format anytime and any where, published them this year.



I am a martial law baby. No, not that really. I was born three years after former President Ferdinand Emmanuel Edralin Marcos of Batac, Ilocos Norte placed the Philippines under martial law. I grew up in the province and was reared by my maternal grandmother. Over and above radio and television, I learned that reading was very fun, and at my early age, I came to appreciate illustrated comics, “Liwayway,” and “Bannawag."

My maternal grandmother loved her radio and her turn table more than our television. She loved waltz, “kundiman,” and soap operas. When it was a Sunday and radio stations only aired commentaries and public services, she would turn on our turn table. Ours was not the usual one. Like an old television set, it had a wooden, sturdy case.

Except for some good books like the ones about the childhood of Dr Jose Protacio Mercado Rizal y Alonzo Realonda, the national hero of the country, and other children's books, I learned how to appreciate Philippine literature written in Filipino and in Ilocano more than fairy tales. I remember that my mother would not allow us to open our television in the morning, and that, we could only open it after lunch during “Eat Bulaga” and old Tagalog movies and after dinner during prime time shows. I basically grew up with “Verdadero,” “Newswatch,” “Flor de Luna,” “Agos ng Palad,” “Ang Bagong Champion,” and numerous Chinese movies.

Click here
My Media Autobiography to continue reading the article.Ooops! Did you like the article? Please click the "I like it!" button. Thank you very much!

No comments: