Your Ad Here Your Ad Here

Sunday, July 6, 2008

MY MEDIA AUTOBIOGRAPHY

UNEDITED SAMPLE FEATURE ARTICLE
By Jessica Leal Manalili
IV-Albert Einstein


Once upon a time, [this is not a soppy fairy tale ok!] I was born. In the very same day that my classmate Jessica OrdoƱez was. I was already exposed to some sort of media during that time, not that I’m a movie star but camera lights were already flashing and pairs of curious eyes were scrutinizing me.

In my new-born stage, the only form of media that I was aware of was the voice of those around me and the sound of my own crying. My one-year old stage consisted of picture books and TV commercials, though I have no idea what they were during that time. My infancy stage was more colorful, because I was born talkative. I was the noisiest kid in the house partially because my older brother was deaf and mute. This, I think was where the realization of my brother’s lack of sound media occurred to me. Only graphic arts were his form of media, which is why I grew up as a reader. It was mostly graphic and words and maybe I was sympathizing with my brother’s condition.


As time passed I became a TV addict. My brother and I almost always fought about it. I also was a word addict. Anything with words, I read. Newspapers, books, magazines, diaper covers, shampoo labels, soap boxes, milk cartons, name it. But it was only during my schooling age that my media awareness turned maximum. I was so caught by the idea of it that I know I can’t live without it. I read manga, paperbacks, novels, short stories, essays, poems. I watched cartoons, movies, talkshows, anime, motion pictures, classic movies, foreign shows, local ones. I listened to songs, news, updates, jingles, advertisements, even commentaries.

I was grade 2 when my aunt from Australia sent a balikbayan box of books. I learned to love books then, always finding time to read. I even invited friends at home to have a reading session, it reminds me, some never returned my books.

I was grade 4 when I got my own cell phone. Of course it came with restrictions but I was so excited that I left the paper bag with the charger and manual in the taxi. Good thing the taxi driver returned it.

I also was grade 4 when I got my own PC. PC, great!!! Every homework passed with a breeze. I became a gamer. Remember how online games were so popular back then? I was really hooked and forgot about my love for books. Good thing I became a Mak Sci student, with the very hectic schedule, I quickly got over my addiction and one more returned to reading, except that during that time I read fancy teenage books.

I was third year when I was completely hooked to "koreanovelas". I became a pirated DVD "suki". I, along with my friends, bought whole series and watched it at the comfort of our very own home, in the time where one should be making homework. We usually gather up at my place, complete with food and drinks and do an encore run of these DVD's.

Just recently, the week before classes started and during the 1st week of class. I have been reading the twig light saga: twilight, new moon, eclipse by Stephanie Meyer. Wow! It's the best series I've ever read and it ain't even over yet! It will soon be a major motion picture to be shown this January and the 4th book will be released this August. I can't wait! Just yesterday, I, along with Karla and Mariel attended the twilight forum convention at Fully Booked Bonifacio Hights. It was my 1st time to attend a convention but I wasn't bored. I actually enjoyed it. It's great to know how other's think about twilight. The varying comments, opinions, ideas. It was overwhelming.

Media makes us complete. It’s what makes days whole. It’s what makes the world go round. It’s my life.

No comments: